Thursday, April 12, 2007

LARRY'S NOT SHARING


Larry Birkhead said Wednesday that he doesn't plan on sharing legal custody of Anna Nicole Smith’s baby, the Associated Press reports.

His announcement comes a day after DNA tests proved he is the father of Dannielynn.

"It would imply that I'm unfit as a parent, which I'm not," he told NBC's Today show from the Bahamas. "I'm looking forward to giving Dannielynn everything that she needs and all the love and support."

Birkhead, 34, who broke up with the former Playboy Playmate before she moved to the Bahamas last July, had been seeking custody of Dannielynn from Howard K. Stern, Smith’s lawyer-turned-lover who is listed on the birth certificate as the baby’s father. Stern has been caring for the infant since Smith died of a drug overdose on February 8.

A hearing will take place Friday, at which time a judge is expected to discuss who will raise 7-month-old Dannielynn.

Stern, 38, said Tuesday he still loves the baby in spite of the DNA results, but wouldn't fight for custody and would support Birkhead.

"I'm obviously very disappointed, but my feelings for Dannielynn have not changed," he said, adding of Birkhead: "I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure he gets sole custody."

However, Birkhead suggested that he will not cut Stern off from Dannielynn completely, saying, “I have no problem with anyone that has good intentions being allowed to visit the baby and see the baby and be a part of the baby's life.”

Smith's mother, Virgie Arthur, said Tuesday that she wanted to be present in her granddaughter's life, but appeared satisfied with the DNA results.

"I'm happy that Dannielynn will know who her real father is," she said.

Meanwhile, Birkhead is eager to get his baby daughter home.

"She's got lots of toys and a nursery ready for her and she's got everything she's going to need," he told the Today show. "All I have to do is just give her the love."(SOURCE US WEEKLY)

No comments: